Friday, August 8, 2008

A Call to Prayer by JC Ryle

Will stumbled across this booklet and encouraged me to read it. I knew the minute I heard the title that the Lord was sending it to me. Thank Him.

The booklet begins with these three piercing words, "Do you pray?" I mean really pray. . . closet pray. . . desperation pray. . . I'm so thankful for the process of sanctification, that the Lord loves me enough to discipline me, to show me that my prayer life is not reflecting one whose sins have been forgiven.

Ryle continues, "Prayer is absolutely needful to a man's salvation. I can find that nobody will be saved by his prayers, but I cannot find that without prayer anybody will saved. To be prayerless is to be without God, without Christ, without grace, without hope, and without heaven. It is to be on the road to hell. Now can you wonder that I ask the question, Do you pray?"

I've said it before, but tests are good things. I need to find the Scripture passage that says to test yourself to see that you are in the faith. Do you pray? Are you pierced by your lack of prayer? If not, make your calling and election sure.

I'll keep sharing as I keep reading. :)

1 comment:

megan haug said...

thanks for sharing, i needed to hear this.