Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Lewis and Piper

Will and I were speaking the other day of CS Lewis. We both admitted they we do not "get him." However, Will said there was one quote of Lewis's that he sort of "got." He paraphrased. .

"When we look to heaven and earth, we get neither. When we look to heaven alone, we get both."

Isn't that an extension of Luke 9:24?

I'm attempting to read Piper's Desiring God, again. Hopefully this time I will get through the entire book. Anyway, this pure happiness and joy found in Christ is a pursuit of mine and what better to do than to read a book on Christian Hedonism.

Here are some words from the introduction:

"Worship is basically adoration, and we adore only what delights us. There is no such thing as sad adoration or unhappy praise. We have a name for those who try to praise when they have no pleasure in the object. We call them hypocrities."

1 comment:

Karie said...

CS Lewis can be tricky. One or two sentences give me a day of thought. However, The Cronicles of Narnia have really helped me to see more of what Mr. Clive has to say. Not only have I ready them many times, but I listen to the Radio Theater version of them in the car quite frequently with the kids. EVERY time I listen to them I come to understand another "profound" truth he is trying to explain. And, I have gotten much more from them as an adult that I ever did as a child. Plus, the conversation it sparks with my children is amazing.