OK- so here we go. . . on to yet another fellowship of believers. . . here's the story
Almost 5 years ago when I married Will, we had different beliefs- somewhat. I guess people call it Armenian (sorta) vs. Calvinien (I know it's Calvinism, but whatever). I believed in all five points and it was obvious that Will and the church he attended did not. However, the Lord opened his heart to search the Scriptures and our journey began. There are many precious parts to this story that I want to point out for my sake and the first one is that I did not say a word (in my mind I did a few times) concerning our "church" decisions. By God's grace, for us, he allowed Will to be that decision maker with no (or maybe I should say not much) persuasion from me.
Anway, one thing led to another and Will felt it was time for us to leave his home church, the only church he had known for over 30 years- but when the Lord calls, Will listens. (precious part of the story #2)
So, we visited a FIVE POINTS OF CALVIN church that I had found on the Internet. We went. I loved it and to my dismay Will did not, not one bit. We tried another "Doctrines of Grace" church but left with the same reactions. The Lord had not brought Will to this point on the journey. However, the Lord did bring us to a church very similar to his home church with a preacher who highlighted God in every text. His sermons were not about man's duties but about God's greatness. Here is where the Lord led us, and here is where our journey began.
Will began to read and the Lord began to turn his world upside down. Everything he had ever "known" began to crumble as the truths of Scripture began anew. I wish he would write this part of the story. But I saw in him a new love for God, a new realization of his position in Christ. . . no longer was it he who chose Christ but Christ chose him and Christ who works in Will to do His good pleasure. . . so all five point of Calvinism became dear to Will- but let me say IT IS NOT THE POINTS- it is the FINISHED WORK OF CHRIST presented by THE FATHER TO DEPRAVED SOULS that is so life-changing- but the truths are found so beautifully wrapped into this doctrine which is why it is so precious to us
OK- so this pacticular God-centered pastor (who also happened to embrace the Doctrines of Grace) was quickly called away from the church we were in. We were left with Will's new-found truths and he was now ready to go to the church I loved.
We began going to that church. The Lord blessed us with great teaching and lifelong Christian family. But then, it was time to move from there. He took us to the other church we visited and we stayed there for awhile- blessed by the admonishment to be in the Word with our families, great fellowship and loving counsel.
But then, believe it or not, Will's studies continued. A deeper theology- one that I don't fully understand (Covenant Theology as opposed to Dispensational Theology) but when I see the Word of God and His Spirit transform my husband, I know it is the truth of the Word that is bringing him closer to Christ.
Anyway, there is a new church-start beginning here in Newburgh. Our family began to be in contact with the families involved in this work and Will's studies were "jiving" with the teaching of these leaders. So needless to say, the Lord has taken us to Cornerstone Fellowship, the new work begun through the prayers and faithfulness of God's people from Heritage Baptist Church in Owensboro, KY.
In the end, another precious part of this story is that on this journey we have only been treated with grace and kindness and goodness by God's people. It is a testimony to the greatness of our God. I am thankful for all of the friends we have met on our journey and look forward to our future together for the glory of God.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Wow. Thanks for posting that! I love to hear of how God works in people's lives, and what you had to say is a good reminder to me of some things that I tend to forget.
I'm glad you have shared your journey that the Lord has taken both of you on! It is such a wonderful reminder of how the Lord is directing our paths and teaching and growing us along the way. I have to say that it's so good to see you at Cornerstone and good to know I can continue to worship with some wonderful friends that the Lord has blessed me with in these past 9 months! I've been overwhelmed at how the Lord has answered my prayers for fellowship with Godly women. And you are a part of that blessing!
Post a Comment