Monday, September 22, 2008

Sunday's Points to Ponder

In Sunday School, we were reminded of the importance of God's Word.

I liked the different ways people "explained" inspired, God-breathed:

Divine CPR
The Breath of God
Gives Life
It is Life

The Lord was gracious to send these profound reminders my way. The text for Sunday's sermon was "I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ." I have been looking to myself lately (an old ugly habit) and seeing my inability to love Christ alone. As I look to myself, I despair. Of course, I have no ability to please Christ. However, as I keep bemoaning my sin- it is like what I am really saying is that I want to find something within myself that is "good" enough and that is pride. I'm fighting the death of the flesh. So, by God's grace His Word will give me life as I move beyond this old habit and look to Christ alone.

And then, I was encouraged by Spurgeon's Morning devotion. He said to Rejoice in Christ alone. Make nothing else your gladness. Why should there be any other gladness? Christ is our strength, our wisdom, our grace, our redemption. Spurgeon reminded me that the people of old would write songs of joy to express the triumph of their God. So, perhaps, if the Lord is kind, I should write a song of the triumph of the Lord in my life. This should help me to focus upon Him and what He has done, for as I look back any good thing in my life is His blessed grace in every way.

Finally, I read of Joseph. I LOVE how he stands before Pharoah who says- I hear you can interpret dreams. And Joseph says, It is God who does so.

Perhaps I can think on this thought throughout the day when I see the sun rise, when I eat my food, when my children obey or when I must discipline, or when I'm tempted toward vanity. . .

It is God. . .

1 comment:

Carol said...

I have been trying to be like Joseph in that regard...but sometimes I just don't feel like going to that effort. Sinful, stupid, foolish, all adjectives that come to mind! Thanks for sharing!